Wednesday, January 19, 2022

My Top 5 Sources of News and Information

Today's media outlets are constantly at war with each other trying to prove their own credibility and, at the same time, throwing as many opinions and viewpoints to their readers as possible. While it's a difficult world to trust in, there is still something to be learned in each article you read. My personal mantra is: get a second opinion. These five news sources below are the ones I typically trust the most and usually the sources I go to to double check other news outlets. 


#1 - The Wall Street Journal

My main source of news is the the Wall Street Journal, which is often referred to as the world's most credible newspaper. Despite its slightly liberal bias, it has become a widely-used resource for both journalists and readers. It's often ranked among the top newspapers in America because it provides detailed information that isn't found anywhere else. 

As a financial daily, its articles are aimed at those with a business background, but it also provides interesting content for people like me, without any investment experience whatsoever. Their articles also provide access to the people who make decisions in finance, business and politics. Each morning, I receive The 10-Point: A Guide to the Day's Top News in my inbox, which helps me stay on top of the most important national and international issues and events each day. Here's a screenshot from today's 10-point. (1/19/2022) 



#2 - Fox News

I also use Fox News because they provide unwavering support for the United States, while also presenting news from a conservative angle. In my opinion, Fox is probably one of the few networks that provides unbiased coverage when it comes to international affairs. They supply an alternative perspective that other networks don't have when it comes to international issues like trade with China or military strategy in North Korea (or lack thereof). I gain the most knowledge when it comes to the range of stories that Fox publishes as most credible networks choose not to cover many of the stories that Fox does.


#3 - New York Times

The New York Times is another one of the most trusted sources of journalism in the world. Since it’s been around for over 200 years it has an impressive archive of information about all events that have occurred on earth, reported reputable news stories, and provided important information to readers on a wide range of topics. I enjoy reading their pieces because of the wide amount of resources and sources they offer.


#4 - Politico

Politico’s investigative journalism is regularly praised by both media and politicians. Their mission is to enhance the public's understanding of US politics through coverage of local, state, and federal legislation, as well as international relations. In my opinion, unlike many other news sources, Politico doesn't engage in soft-ball journalism. Rather than writing articles that read like press releases or biased blogs that only repeat what a politician said during a speech, it writes original news stories with political insight and thorough commentary. Politico isn’t where I go to find an “inside scoop,” but instead unbiased truths about our political system.


#5 - BuzzFeed

In addition to traditional reporting and analysis, BuzzFeed News also has a large

focus on investigative reporting. This source is new for me. Since they published a whistleblower article last December entitled: "Secret CIA Files Say Staffers Committed Sex Crimes Involving Children" this news source caught my attention and I have continued to be impressed with their commitment to finding the truth. While I don't always read their traditional news reports, I have gained a lot of respect for their investigative reporting and continue to read new articles they publish.  


No comments:

Post a Comment